Referrals System via Choose & Book
When the doctor refers you to a Consultant in Secondary Care this process gives you, where applicable, the opportunity to choose where & when you go. When referred he/she will give you a Telephone Call Back (TCB) with our C&B Clerk.
HOW IT WORKS:–
- The doctor will discuss the options and give you a TCB with our C&B Clerk.
- You will be called by the C&B clerk at the given time - PLEASE BE AVAILABLE – YOUR REFERRAL CANNOT COMMENCE UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY THE C&B CLERK.
- She will discuss the options and will either directly book your appointment for you or if she is unable to do so she will give you the necessary details and instructions to allow you to book the appointment yourself. You will be told to collect the details which will be in an envelope at the front desk. The envelope will contain;
- The appointment details – UBRN + Password + telephone numbers.
- A Choose & Book leaflet and a booklet “Choosing your Hospital”.
- For those who need to book your own appointments the documents will allow you to study the options and then call the Hospital of your choice to make the appointment. If you have not booked within 7 working days of your referral you will be contacted by NHS Direct to ask if you still want the appointment and offer help and advice.
- Please allow us 3 working days to type and send the referral letter.
CHOOSE AND BOOK GIVES YOU A MEASURE OF CONTROL OVER WHERE AND WHEN YOU GO
Please note that once we have booked your appointment we are NOT ABLE to change or field non-medical enquiries about the appointment. It is your responsibility to contact
the hospital or provider to make any changes to your appointment. The details of how to do this are included in the envelope that you MUST collect from the surgery.